Bunny’s opened at 4730 Excelsior Boulevard in St. Louis Park in 1933. One of the most often asked questions over the years has been, “Where did that name come from?” The story goes like this… The original owner, Henry Aretz, was in need of a sign for his new bar, Aretz’s Place. However, the sign maker had a different idea. He had made a mistake on a sign that read “Bunny’s” and, not wanting to scrap the job, asked Henry Aretz if he wanted to buy a sign “real cheap.” Henry, knowing a bargain when he saw one, bought the sign, and Bunny’s was started. The Aretz family owned Bunny’s until Gary and Sherman Rackner bought the bar in 1988. Bunny’s became a Bar & Grill, with the addition of a kitchen in the fall of 1988, and continued its tradition of a place where local patrons could relax with friends, catch a game, and also have a great meal.
Unfortunately, Sherman passed away in 1997 and, due to the proposed redevelopment of Excelsior Boulevard, Bunny’s had to find a new location by the end of 1998. In January of 1999, Gary brought in a new business partner, Steve Koch, and they reopened Bunny’s in its current location. We are happy to be in St. Louis Park and look forward to being a fixture in the community for many years to come.
In memory of Sherman Rackner, Gary’s father and business partner, we have named the back bar “Sherm’s.”
Sherm, we hope you are proud!